Personal Style and lifestyle by Amanda C.Watson

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Spectrum piercing: Sunday trend inspiration and cultural appropriation.


Today I've been obsessing about spectrum piercings / cuff ring/ nose rings. Somebody told me that I would look good in it. And I think they might be right!! Piercing my nose its totally out of the question, but I would totally try a fake one... Now, I know this trend has been around for awhile and honestly I wasn't ever thinking about jumping on the bandwagon. This simply because I see this as being part of the whole cultural appropriation machinery. But then I remember what Amandla Stenberg said: 

"Appropriation occurs when the appropriator is not aware of the deep significant of the culture that they are partaking in" 

I know this type of piercings are prevalent in many "non- white"/racialize cultures, so I think it would be totally impossible for me to have a deep understanding with or with out my postcolonial mind. But I know it would be a total different story If I was a white middle class girl. Right?


SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Personnally I loooovve this trend :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been admiring this trend from a far but Ive been thinking I'll be jumping on the band wagon too. Sometimes certain trends that have cultural roots and have been taken into the fashion world do sometimes make me think if I should have a deep understanding of it or is it harmless fashion?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been admiring this trend from a far but Ive been thinking I'll be jumping on the band wagon too. Sometimes certain trends that have cultural roots and have been taken into the fashion world do sometimes make me think if I should have a deep understanding of it or is it harmless fashion?

    ReplyDelete

© Done n Done. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig